Ok, so a hot topic.
Is homework actually helping our students in the learning process or not. After spending some quick time on the internet it looks like you can really validate your thoughts either way.
Here are some resources to check into:
- Time magazine: Is Homework Good for Kids? Here’s What the Research Says.
- Great Schools: The Great Homework Debate
- CNN: The Great Homework Debate: Too much, too little or busy work?
- NEA: Research Spotlight on Homework
- ABC News: Amid Growing Debate about Homework, One School Bans it
- Huffington Post: The Great Homework Debate
So the standard that is pretty consistant is the “10 minute rule”. So a maximum of 10 minutes of homework per grade level. So, a second grader could have up to 20 minutes of homework and a sixth grader 60 minutes and so on.
For this poll lets just set aside the debate at middle school and high school, but instead focus just on grade school. So K-5th grade, should we as teachers be assigning homework to kids? What do you think?